is a 135-room hotel set in the heart of downtown Banff. From its opening in 1908, when it was called the Banff Hotel, this unique red brick structure has been a magnet to travellers wishing to explore the vast magnificence of Banff National Park and the spectacular Canadian Rocky Mountains. At the time, Banff was little more than an isolated outpost, but the original owners, Dave and Annie McDougall, had a vision of what Banff could, and ultimately would, become; a vacation destination for millions of visitors each year. So they built it…and the people came. Initially a 60-bed hotel with a large dining room and gentlemen’s billiard room, the Banff Hotel immediately became the favoured stopping point for those adventurous souls exploring the wilderness, or for trans-continental rail travellers. Then, in 1912, a mere four years after opening, the McDougalls sold the hotel for the unheard of sum of $75,000, to Jim Brewster, a mountain guide whose family started many successful tourism businesses during the pre-war boom years. Jim renamed the hotel The Mount Royal, and the hotel turned out to be one of Brewster’s most shrewd investments. For more than 50 years, Jim and his family expanded and developed this sparkling gem of a hotel before finally selling it to Brewster Transportation and Tours, in 1965.
About the Area
Banff is quite simply one of the most desirable vacation destinations in the world. It’s one of the few resort towns that can offer something special every month of the year, season after season, year after year. Hiking trails abound, but for those eager to enjoy the views with a minimum of effort, they can catch a gondola ride to the top of Sulphur Mountain. Get a lesson in mountain climbing, or relax in the hot springs discovered in 1885, and which have been a major attraction ever since. Golf, fish, ski, snowboard, ride a horse, photograph a grizzly, caribou or bald eagle in its natural habitat; the list never ends, but when your energy does, you can always resort to the last three rules of any great getaway—eat, drink and be merry! While doing those three things, simply feast your eyes on the turquoise waters of the glacier fed lakes, breathe in the mountain air that is so fresh it practically sparkles, and relax as you’ve never relaxed before.
The Mount Royal Hotel ensures that each and every one of its rooms never loses sight of what brings people to the area in the first place. As such, all bedrooms and suites have views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Decorated in rich colours with lavish furnishings, the bedrooms fall into one of four categories. All come with the following as standard:
• Coffee maker
• Iron and ironing board
• 27-inch television
• Free high speed internet access
• Telephone with voice mail
• Individual climate control
• Hairdryer and bathroom amenities package
• Complimentary access to Mount Royal’s indoor sauna and whirlpool
• Door to door ski resort shuttle service
Standard Rooms accommodate up to four people and include:
• One king or two queen beds
• Table and two chairs
• Full ensuite bathroom with amenities package
Superior Accommodations can sleep up to six people and offer:
• Two queen beds plus a twin sofa bed
• Large, roomy floor plan
• Ensuite bathroom with luxury amenities package
Junior suites offer luxurious accommodation for two people and include:
• Separate living and private bedroom areas
• Queen bed
• Two televisions
• DVD player
• Writing desk
• Ensuite bathroom with upgraded amenities package
Superior suites offer still more space and come with:
• One king or two queen beds in the private bedroom
• Queen-size sofa bed in the living room
• Two televisions and DVD player
• Ensuite bathroom with upgraded amenities package
There are also three very special Deluxe Suites, including the Brewster Suite, the Pinnacle Suite and the Presidential Suite. They offer the absolute ultimate in standards of luxury.
• Brewster Suite features original artwork by local artists, leather furniture in the living room, Jacuzzi bathtub for two, large king master bedroom and large screen TV with Home Theatre.
• Pinnacle Suite features 1,000 square feet of floor space, boardroom table with seating for 10, private king bedroom, single Jacuzzi bath, fireplace, wall-to-wall windows, sofa bed, and is one of only three accommodations on the fourth floor
• The signature Presidential Suite boasts the ultimate in space and comfort with private king bedroom, two-person Jacuzzi bathtub, sofa bed in the living room, two TVs, DVD player and a stereo system.
As with everything else to do with the Mount Royal Hotel, the standard of dining is as high as the surrounding Rocky Mountain peaks. Hotel guests can enjoy the very best of AAA-rated beef, slow roasted chicken and pork, or sumptuous baby back ribs at the internationally acclaimed Tony Roma’s. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner, this restaurant serves the very highest quality food and wine in a relaxed but high class setting.
From noon to 10 p.m., Tony Roma’s Lounge offers a full service menu, a selection of beers, cocktails, wines and spirits, while guests can watch major sporting events on one of the lounge’s three giant screen TVs.
For those looking for a good burger to go with their beer followed by a game of pool or darts in a traditional pub setting, try Mount Royal’s The Paddock. If you’re really feeling brave, there’s a private karaoke room to show off your vocal skills!